Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Visual Advocacy Proposal

After attending public schools for 13 years, I started to notice a trend in the absence of art teachers. The art departments seem to get set aside budget wise, along with the music department. The high school I attended just remodeled their entire outside athletic complex which rang up a bill of over $2 million dollars! That same year, two of my former art teachers were not given their jobs back. But what the administration failed to notice was that enrollment has been up in art classes as compared to sport-tech classes. These students who choose to participate in art classes produce absolutely amazing art works. It is just a shame that the budget given for supplies is only enough to accommodate about half the students enrolled.

For my visual aid, I plan on doing the 6 photo and caption series. The photos will be a variety of art works completed by current and former students who attended my high school. I plan on going to the art classes during school hours and observing what each class has to offer the students. The pictures will be of painting and drawing, ceramics and photography. The captions will explain what each work is and by who each work was created by.

I plan to do some research online about other art departments in other school districts. I will be looking for their facilities used as compared to the facilities used at my alma mater along with how many different classes are offered. I also plan on interviewing the current art teachers at this high school and asking their views and opinions on different topics regarding the decisions with the budget and students.

6 comments:

Ian said...

I noticed the same thing happening at my old school, Canton Public High School. It’s sad to see that art is leaving our schools, but apparently, the school boards don’t seem to think that it is relevant to education. In my opinion, art is a necessary part of education, but I have seen that many art classes have turned out to be simply “throw away” classes. This could be the reason for the lack of support. In spite of this, there are many classes which appeal to individuals with different skills and I think that this is why they should stay. It should be interesting to hear what you have to say concerning this topic.

Allison12 said...

it's so sad that the boards think that art and music classes are not necessary for a complete education... good topic.

Anonymous said...

I think your presentation will be really interesting, cool topic! I was never really interested (or good) at art in school.

Nimrit Sohal said...

This should be an interesting topic to present. It's sad that schools do not feel art and music are not "necessary" classes.

Vanessa said...

great topic. reading your proposal i had to think if at my school we had art or music and i believe we did but again they didnt make the subject such a big deal and thats sad cuz its really interesting. to bad that even when schools provide it they dont really enforce it to make it more available.

Unknown said...

Looks like you have the wheels turning here.