Thursday, October 2, 2008

Visual Advocacy Project (Project #1)


When this project was first described in class, I immediately asked myself, “What issue am I passionate about?!” That same day, I was going to my old high school to have lunch with a few of the art teachers. As I walked into the photography classroom, I realized how much I missed taking those classes. But at the same time I was having all those old memories flood my head, I remembered how many students were underappreciated and were never acknowledged from the school for their talents. While waiting for the lunch bell to ring, I wandered off into the art supply closet. To my surprise, it was practically empty! At lunch, I asked all three teachers what was the deal with the lack of supplies. All of them responded simultaneously with one word: BUDGET! They proceeded to tell me about the number of students in their classes and how they do not know what to do because there are not enough supplies for them. Enrollment has been rapidly climbing with each year and that absolutely thrills them. But I found out that just because enrollment it up, it does not necessarily mean their budget goes up too. After lunch, I was invited to stay after to look at some of the artworks produced by the students. I was blown away by how talented these kids are! Everywhere I looked there was a different style of art being executed. From manual photography photo shoots with black and white film, to a pallet of pastels on canvas, beautiful art was being produced right before my eyes! Being a former photography student, I was ecstatic when the option to take pictures as the visual was offered. I asked the art teachers if I could come back another day to capture some of the beautiful artwork created by their students, and they agreed to let me.

I observed at least one hour of every class offered. Painting and drawing was the first class I sat in on. I grabbed a stool and sat on the side of the teacher’s desk. I looked to my left and noticed that there was a painting being covered by a bunch of books and papers. This painting was very colorful and just had so much life to it. To me, it represented the hidden beauty and talent art and the students have to offer. At the end of the hour, I walked around and noticed a familiar face. This face was of one of my unfocused and disobedient softball players I coached last spring. I was absolutely shocked that she was in an art class. Not only was she in an art class, but she was being quiet and was focused on her assignment. I sat in the chair next to her and it took her a good five minutes to notice it was me. I praised her on her finished artwork because I did not expect her to find her outlet in art and because it was amazing!

The next class I visited was ceramics. I walked into the “fire room” and just as I walked in, there was a foot in my face! A foot made from clay! This foot was very realistic and had a great resemblance to a human foot. All the detail put into it was astonishing and how it was just set there at eye level at the door as if it was purposely put there for all who entered to see. The next picture I took was of a shelf full of clay pieces, completed by first year students, which were already fired. This self just caught my eye for two reasons: one, because it was full of versatility and different techniques, and two, because the composition and layout of this photo was pleasing to the eye.

Photography was the last classroom I visited. The darkroom is a very frightening place to be if you are by yourself. There are a few small red safelights on so you can see your way around, but other than that, it is completely dark! I felt the need to take this picture because it shows the extra work needed to make an original black and white photograph. In the corner of the classroom were two first year students learning how to use lighting to their advantage in a photograph. I actually helped them out with their photo shoot. The two girls were happy to receive all the help they could get from someone with a little more experience.

Saving art in public schools is a cause near and dear to my heart. The students in these classes deserve to be acknowledged and respected by the school. Only if there was enough money in the art budget to accommodate all the eager, newly enrolled art students.

1 comment:

tonyae1989 said...

its very sad to know that like music, art is being scapegoated with insufficient funding because the schools administrators and states requirements have been funneling funding only into "core" subjects that may help increase school funding by raising scores on state required mandatory standardized testing, apparently standardized testing can determine abilities in music and art. it is very sad :( btw the are teachers at FHS ROCK